Private Number Plates: The Ultimate Guide
The world of private number plates can sometimes feel like a bit of a minefield. There are laws and restrictions that have to be followed, complicated looking paperwork to be completed & loads of websites to choose from.
That’s why we've sifted through thousands of pages and resources across the internet and separated the wheat from the chaff to bring you this - our ultimate guide to private number plates.
As this guide is so epic, we've broken it up into chapters for you. To access any chapter, simply click the grey button and you'll be magically transported to that section of the guide.
Everything you could ever want to know about number plates is covered in this epic guide, so let's get going!
How To Understand Number Plate Formats, Laws & Restrictions
There are a whole host of different types of number plates on our roads today, and understanding these is fundamental if you want to buy, sell or value a number plate.
According to research conducted by Glass's guide, even now, 15 years since the new number plate system was introduced, buyers are still confused by it. Although most people grasp that an 11 plate was registered in 2011, many are still confused by the mid-year plates (in this case 61) , meaning that your car could actually be worth around £300 more if it has a number plate issued between March & August, rather than between April & September!
The articles below put an end to the confusion and give you all the information you need to understand what the different styles of number plate are and how they work, why you can't just swap letters for numbers to make your perfect plate, and how to make sure that any number plate you buy or invest in, complies with the law.
- Guidelines on displaying number plates - DVLA
- Guide to number plate formats - The AA
- The legal font style and spacing required on UK number plates - Plate Trader
- Number plate display offence punishments - No Penalty Points
Number Plate Ideas To Help You Find Your Perfect Private Number Plate
Number plates have grown in popularity in the last decade or so. As there is only ever one of a particular plate combination and many of the best ones have been snapped up, finding your perfect plate is only getting harder.
So if the private plate you wanted has already been taken, these articles are absolutely guaranteed to give you some inspiration and new ideas to find your ideal number plate.
- 18 of the best personalised number plate ideas - Plate Trader
- Number plate ideas & suggestions to help you find your perfect number plate - Plates 4 Less
- Private plate search tips & advice - Finishing Touch Registrations
- More number plate ideas to consider - CarReg
How To Buy Your Private Number Plate For The Lowest Price And Save Money
Buying a number plate can be a bit confusing if you've never done it before. As we said at the start of this guide, when you're looking to buy a number plate you'll often see the same number plates being advertised on different websites at different prices.
These resources will help you to make sure you're buying your plate from the right place, at the best possible price.
- The do's and don't's of buying a private number plate - eBay Guide
- Guide to buying a number plate for the first time - Plate Trader
- Cheapest place to buy a personalised number plate - Honest John Forum
- Where is the cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - Plate Trader
How To Find Out How Much Your Number Plate Is Really Worth
Valuing a number plate is difficult. Every number plate is unique so each one potentially has a different value. Getting the valuation right is crucial. Value your number plate too high and you'll scare off potential buyers, value it too low and you risk selling it for less than it's worth and losing money.
Unfortunately, there's no Parker's or Glasses guide for number plates, so you have to do your own research. Thankfully though, we've pulled together some incredible resources below which will help you to value your plate at the right price.
- What's my car registration plate worth? - Plate Trader
- How do I decide how much my number plate is worth? - The Plate Market
- How to value your number plate - Plate Master
How To Sell Your Private Number Plate As Quickly, Cheaply And Easily As Possible
If you're looking to sell a number plate then you'll probably have realised that the process is far from straightforward.
How do you sell your number plate quickly? Should you sell it privately or through a number plate dealer? How do you complete the sale?
These are all questions that you've probably been faced with. Here are some fantastic free resources to make selling your number plate a breeze.
- How to sell a number plate - Simply Registrations
- Why & how to sell a number plate privately - Plate Trader
- Are you thinking of selling a personalised number plate? - Simply Registrations
- Guide to selling a number plate on eBay - eBay Guides
- Why you might not want to sell your number plate on eBay - Plate Trader
How To Invest In Private Number Plates And Make Money
There is potentially a lot of money to be made from cherished number plates. Some people have realised this and as a result there are now many number plate 'traders' starting their own collections of plates as investments, but knowing how to make money from number plates is a skill in it's own right.
These great resources will guide you in the right direction and tell you what to buy and what to avoid.
- How to make money from number plates - Money Magpie
- Personalised number plates - a nice little earner? - Breaker Link
- Guide to investing in number plates - Plate Trader
- Should you invest in 'vanity' number plates? - The Telegraph
How And Where To Buy Acrylic Number Plates And Avoid Getting Into Trouble With The Police
Legally, every car on our roads has to display physical number plates. What some people fail to realise is that there are regulations which these number plates must meet in order to be road legal. Failure to meet these will result in an MOT failure, a potential fine of up to £1000, and in some cases, confiscation of your registration!
Some number plate suppliers, particularly online ones, sell number plates that don't meet these criteria so some drivers end up unwittingly driving around with plates that could land them with a hefty fine. (By the way, just in case you were wondering, we're not one of those! We're a DVLA registered number plate supplier and you can buy plates from us in confidence).
These resources will not only tell you exactly what the criteria is so you can make sure that your plates meet it, they'll also help to point you towards you some trusted suppliers that you can buy from.
How To Complete The Paperwork To Transfer And Retain Cherished Number Plates
One of the main reasons why people are put off buying and selling number plates privately is the paperwork involved.
If you've never bought or sold a number plate before, it can be confusing.
These great pages will put an end to the confusion, and make it clear exactly what all the paperwork means, and tell you step-by-step exactly what you need to fill in.
- It now costs less to retain your personalised registration - DVLA Blog
- How to retain a number plate - Plate Trader
- How to transfer a number plate from one vehicle to another - Plate Trader
- How to assign a number plate to a vehicle - Plate Trader
- Retain a number plate online - DVLA
- Assign a number plate to a vehicle online - DVLA
The Most Expensive, Most Famous And Coolest Number Plates
There are some truly awesome number plates out there, and with people paying as much as half a million pounds for them, they really should be!
They are often seen as a status symbol, so it's no surprise that many of the rich and famous have them either.
The links below will show you some of the most expensive, most famous and downright coolest number plates in the world - enjoy!
Thanks for reading our ultimate guide to all things private number plates.
Hopefully the information in this guide will help you in some way, whether it's buying a number plate as cheaply as possible, selling or valuing a number plate, or even just finding some really cool number plates.
Whatever you took from this guide, even if its something really small, we'd love to hear it! It will make the hours that we put into this guide truly worthwhile, so please do leave a comment below.
We read them all and will respond to as many as we can 🙂
June 28, 2016
We've been used and trusted by thousands, including leading companies and celebrities...